Thursday, August 7, 2008

Preparations

Hamjambo!

So even though I'm still stateside, I thought I'd get this blog started now. Once in Tanzania, I will probably only have internet access about three times a month, with low-speed connections for a minimal amount of time, so I thought I'd provide some basic info while sitting in a coffee shop in Surprise enjoying the comforts of electricity and indoor plumbing.

I will be in Tanzania from mid-September to mid-December teaching about preventing disease transmission in primary and secondary schools and whatever adult community groups are willing to host us, with Tanzanian teaching partners who will translate for us. We'll be living with Tanzanian families, completely immersed in the language and culture - I'm so excited!

I'm in the midst of planning and trying not to get overwhelmed. Things to consider:

-How to pack for three months, knowing that I will have to carry my luggage for up to four miles
-Buying a "real" backpacking backpack
-Determining appropriate gifts for the family I will be living with, knowing nothing about them - anyone have ideas??
-Figuring how to vote from my homestay

Interesting tidbit: Based on Tanzanian law, I will officially be a Tanzanian resident for the three months I'm there, which means that if we have the opportunity to travel to say, Kenya, we're supposed to tell the border officials that we're residents of Tanzania.

Kwa herini!

8 comments:

Suzannah Herron said...

I definitely think that you would look the part of a native...

Excited you have a blog on blogpsot, too! We can have a joint entry at the end (hahaha...)!

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for the update...we will look forward to the reports on your most excellent adventures.
Rex

Anonymous said...

ah not "out of africa" but "in to africa!"
i am ready to follow your lovely adventure
on behalf of humanity and the rest of us :)

cheers, jane

Heather Lee said...

I'm excited to hear the stories! Take care of yourself and don't let anyone steal you!

Anonymous said...

You are in Tanzania and I am still in U of A hell. But this one will definitely make you laugh. I have four more classes to May 2009 graduation. Two classes this fall so I go to class one, and this dufus comes in 10 minutes late loudly proclaiming he is late because he couldn't find the place - yeah like Social Sciences is that hard to find. I hear the professor say "Mark take a seat". Mark - I am thinking in all my years I only remember one dufus named Mark - Genetics, spring 2006, the year of my infamous aneurysm - yep that dufus. And if that wasn't bad enough, I go to class two that evening, and there is dufus again!! And has he changed, no such luck - perhaps worse - blah, blah, blah, blah. Is this karma, or a test? So you enjoy Tanzania while I enjoy dufus!!! Love Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat,
Love packing for three months and then carrying your clothes for 4 miles. Idea: take Tide and just a few very washable clothes. For gifts take jewelry or a scarf because it is small and doesn't take up much room. Oh yea make sure your backpack fits you right and try it many times before you go loaded. Martin had a great pack for China that he could carry Luke and also abunch of stuff. Well "Miss Tanzania Resident" we will think of you often and pray for a successful and meaningful experience for all. Judi

Anonymous said...

HEY! This is great, Natalie...and so is that little jaunt you are taking. You know I am kidding. I am sooo excited for you. The new counsleor at Blake spent 12 years in Africa as a missionary so she has shared some things from her experiences. It is hard to "wrap your head around" what happens out of the U.S. Journal your experiences. :) Love you, Tracy

p.s. What is a citizen of Tanzania called? Tanzanian? Tanzanianite?

Anonymous said...

I send you my best and will keep you in our prayers during this period of time you are traveling outside of the country.
Remember, the 91st Psalms during this period it was always helpful for me while traveling...