Saturday, November 22, 2008

Languages

So the two Tanzanian teaching partners in my village both speak 3 languages fluently - their respective tribal language, Kiswahili, and English. The American volunteers speak English and dabble in Kiswahili and French or Spanish. Our teaching partners have decided they want to learn their 4th and 5th languages, and have designated my roommate Anne as their French tutor and me as their Spanish tutor. This is rather pathetic, given that my 3 years of Spanish lessons ended over 5 years ago and I wasn't fluent then, but they're learning quickly nonetheless. It's sooo embarrasing, really, when you think about it. If I were in charge of the American educational system (a job I never want!!!) the first thing I would do would be to make foreign language lessons mandatory in every elementary school. It's now common to hear us forming sentences containing Kiswahili, English, and Spanish - KiswaSpanglish, if you will - which is a quick recipe for a headache but very entertaining!!!

No comments: