Friday, November 21, 2008

Village Tours

I was thrilled last week to see Chuck & Judi pull up to my house in their safari truck with the guide they'd hired for an extra day to come visit me and tour the villages I work in. You two are rockstars - who else would pull that off?!? We're not exactly on the main road or close to any safari parks! The bag of "essentials" they brought from the U.S. was a bit like Christmas morning and all 18 volunteers were very grateful! Thanks, Jessica for your contribution! Happy birthday, Chuck! You guys are the only people I know who will have pictures of farm animals in your safari album! I loved being able to show Karangai and Maweni (homestays, schools, dukas) to friends from home, and appreciated the ride to my mtg in Kikwe. They were even polite enough to break their "no village food" rule to try chapatti and makonde, two of our staples. Chapatti is a lot like the frybread you'd eat if lucky enough to be on an Indian reservation (it's one of our favorites!!) and makonde is a mixture of beans and corn, cooked in vegetable oil. We love it with hot sauce, which we now buy in bulk.

Maweni is an amazing village and already feels more like "home" than our first village did. Will write more tomorrow.

I hope all is well with you!

No comments: