Thursday, September 25, 2008

Signing off for now...

Friends,

Completed the day-long waterfall hike: one of the most physically exhausting experiences (although second to house demolition in plastic body suits in 100% humidity in New Orleans - Wesley group knows what I'm talking about!) but also by far the most beautiful. You'll have to wait for pictures, but trust me, it was breath-taking. On another note, I will never view the ritual of foot washing the same way again. And we were all put to shame when the grandmas of the villages seemed to fly by us, even with their heavy loads.

The UN Tribunals for Rwanda are taking place in Arusha now. They're open to the public so I'm trying to find some time to sit in on a bit of them - the volunteers who got here the day before me did just that. Logistically, I'm not sure if that will happen. I took a picture of the UN sign out front today as we trekked by; would have taken a picture of the building had the security guard not intervened - I really thought my camera was going to be confiscated (or worse) at that point but luckily was not. It makes no sense to me that the trials would be open to the public but the bldg can't be photographed - and if the UN is off-limits, we have some problems - but at this point I'll just follow their rules. Activism is better done long-distance, I think.

Another night out in Arusha this evening, followed by an early morning move to our more remote orientation spot and then on to the villages we'll be working in. Expect not to hear from me for awhile, but know that all is well and I greatly appreciate your comments and prayers.

Grace and Peace,
Natalie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat,
Glad you survived the hike! But it sounds like picture taking needs to be done with caution at times. That has happened to us in our travels.
Wish it was possible to hear from you daily but one must learn patience, which is all of us following this journey with you. Remember to journal daily-- new feelings and experiences are coming at you so fast.
Go with God,
Judi and still sleeping Chuck

Katie said...

Nat,
The whole family misses you already but we know how much this trip means to you. Glad to hear you are enjoying it thus far and that you survived the hike. I'm head to see dad and the rest of the family tommorrow which will be fun. Cant wait to hear more about the area and how things are going.
Love ya always
Katie

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like this is such an amazing experience!!!!! I miss you!

Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
What an awesome and inspiring writer you are! You are a truly amazing individual of God and I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to read of your mission and adventures. Thanks for sharing. May Peace and God's Love continue to envelope you!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

Glad to hear that things are going well. I just read through all your entries. Seldom have I ever read anything as eloquent, throught provoking, and perspective changing as "If You Pray..." I will pray as you ask, and will look forward to whatever entries you have time for. Blessings on all you and your associates are doing.
Take care,
Tom

Anonymous said...

Well written article.